Yay! I am finally getting my world-famous Fish Taco recipe on the interweb-thingie! You know, that thing that a certain Billionaire said wouldn’t catch on? I wonder what he thinks about that statement now?
Anyway, back to fish tacos….yum..yum..yum! Ramona ~ This is for you, so go ahead and share away!
This recipe is great when you need to whip up a dinner fairly fast, the only part that needs time to percolate (love that old fashioned term) is the salsa, it’s basically being pickled to develop the favours. It is also fairly waist friendly when the chipotle sauce * is used in moderation, for an even lighter option, check out the * tip at the bottom of the page.
Chipotle Fish Tacos ala Deb!
1 Haddock fish filet per person (or any firm, white fish), sliced into 1″ chunks
2 Cups shredded iceburg lettuce
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup diced red or green bell pepper
1/4 cup diced radishes or jicama
1 Tbsp finely diced jalapeño
1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning (recipe below to make your own)
Juice of 2 limes
3 Tbsp mayonnaise (Hellman’s)
1/4 tsp (or more to taste) of Chiptole Chile powder
3 Large whole wheat flour tortillas
Fresh cilantro leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. At least 4 hours before serving, prepare the salsa by combining the radish (or jicama) , peppers, onions and the juice of 1 lime. Stir to combine, cover and keep refrigerated until time to assemble.
2. Thinly slice the lettuce into a bowl, cover and chill until needed.
3. Prepare the Chipotle Mayo by combining the mayonnaise, chipotle chile powder and 1/2 tsp of the fresh lime juice. Stir to combine then refrigerate until needed.
4. In a frying pan set over med-high heat, add 1 Tbsp of Olive oil and sprinkle half the cajun seasoning all over the bottom of the pan. Add fish and liberally sprinkle the remaining seasoning on the top side of the fish. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fish starts to brown on the bottom, flip fish and cook until the bottoms start to brown. Add remaining lime juice to pan and cook for another 2 minutes or so until the juice cooks off and the fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from heat.
To assemble Tacos
1. Warm tortillas by zapping in the microwave for 15 seconds.
2. Spread a tsp of chipotle mayo in the middle of each tortilla.
3. Divide shredded lettuce evenly among the 3 tortillas
4. Divide the salsa evenly among the 3 tortillas.
5. Divide the fish pieces evenly among the 3 tortillas.
6. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
We roll our tacos up burrito style, but these would also be good in hard corn tortilla shells but way messier!
Note ~ This makes 3 tacos ~ 1 for me and 2 for hubs,
so increase amounts for feeding more people.
* To lighten up the chipotle mayo, sub fat-free yogurt for the mayo.
Make your own Cajun Seasoning
In a mortar and pestle, combine the following ingredients (makes about 3/4 cup):
1 1/2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
1 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp dried Basil
1 tsp dried Oregano
We have ours with a large side salad, but these would also be great with a side of Mexican rice. Enjoy!