This is a great base recipe to experiment with as there are so many flavour combinations available. Here are some of my favourites: Hazlenut/Cinnamon, Almond/Cherry, White Chocolate/Macadamia Nut, Lemon/Poppy Seed, Chocolate/Orange, even Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip (for the kids, or just yourself if you don’t want to share). The possibilities are endless with these luscious, crunchy cookies.
Yes, Biscotti are crunchy cookies right through the entire cookie. If you don’t like crunchy cookies, then skip on over to my Chocolate Chip cookie recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter (no substitutes)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla until blended; stir into dry ingredients until blended. Stir in almonds (the dough will be crumbly) and knead together.
- Divide dough in half; shape each half into a ball. On a parchment lined baking sheet, roll each ball into a 10-in. x 3-in. rectangle.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 5-10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a sharp knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place back on the cookie sheets cut side down. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes each side or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- Dunk and enjoy!
Variations (omit almonds in base recipe for all variations except Almond/Cherry)
Almond/Cherry: Add 1 cup finely diced candied cherries to the dough recipe.
Peanut Butter/Chocolate Chip: Add 1/2 cup Peanut Butter (smooth or crunchy), 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips and 1/2 cup more flour and swap the almond extract for vanilla extract
Cinnamon/Hazelnut: Add 1 cup chopped Hazelnuts and 1 tsp Cinnamon
Lemon/Poppy Seed: Add 1 Tbsp lemon zest, 1 tsp Lemon Extract and 3 Tbsp Poppy Seeds (omit Vanilla Extract)
White Chocolate/Macadamia Nut: Add 1 Cup Chopped Macadamia Nuts and 1 Cup White Chocolate chunks (chopped)
Brownie: Add 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips, 1/2 Cup chopped Walnuts and 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder (decrease flour by 1/2 Cup)
Chocolate/Orange: Add 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder (decrease flour by 1/2 cup), 1 Tbsp Grated Orange Zest and 1 tsp Orange Extract (omit Vanilla Extract)
Pingback: A Biscotti Tutorial | Our Northern Homestead
Pingback: Lime Coconut Biscotti |