June 17th….that was my last post ~ sorry folks, I have just been ridiculously busy with house renovations the past few months and I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. How about I hope I see the light at the end of the tunnel?
We are also smack in the middle of strawberry season. Here in Ontario, the plump, juicy, red strawberries grace our presence for a very short time. Hence, I buy baskets of them for freezing and cooking and to generally stuff my face with them. But one of my very favourite things to do with the lush red beauties is to make muffins out of them, and seeing as my rhubarb patch is also in full swing, is there a better match made in heaven?
This was an original recipe from AllRecipes, but I have adapted it to my preference for a healthier muffin while still tasting good. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!
1 Cup Large Flake Rolled Oats
1 Cup Buttermilk *
3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Cup melted Butter (or sub applesauce)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 Cup chopped Strawberries
3/4 Cup diced Rhubarb
1. Combine buttermilk and oats in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon, mix well.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the butter, egg and brown sugar, add to the milk/oat mixture and stir to combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, folding in until just starting to come together. Gently fold in the berries and rhubarb.
5. Grease a muffin tin or use paper liners, fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
6. Bake in a 375°F oven for about 15 – 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Makes about 12 large muffins. Printer Friendly Version Here
* To make your own buttermilk, combine 1 cup of milk with 1 tbsp of Lemon Juice, stir and let sit for 5 minutes before using.