Today I was waffling. Waffling about whether to make cheddar chive biscuits, or cheddar chive muffins.
So I made cheddar chive cornbread instead. I know, sometimes what I think I want, I don’t want at all. The mind of a woman was clearly at work here.
Since I had just given my rapidly sprouting chive plant a trim last weekend, it was a good time to rummage through my recipe files for an appropriate dish to use some of them up.
No big fanfare here, just a simple, delicious cornbread to enjoy with a Tex-Mex dinner menu (or anytime!).
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 tbsp minced fresh chives
Preheat oven to 400°F
1. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In another bowl, whisk eggs, butter and buttermilk.
3. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened.
4. Gently fold in cheese and chives.
5. Spread mixture in a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes about 18 pieces that are 1″ x 2″