An excellent use for leftover Turkey is this flavourful soup with southwestern influences. Serve with cornbread and a salad for a very satisfying meal!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 4 cups vegetable broth (use homemade)
- 1/2 cup chopped green chile peppers (pickled serranos or jalapenos)
- 6 roma (plum) tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced OR Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
In a large pot over medium heat, combine turkey, broth, tomatoes, green chiles, onion, garlic, and lime juice. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer for one hour. Stir in cilantro, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Spoon into serving bowls, and top with shredded cheese and garnish with avocado or sour cream.